The best way to get started is to attend a free composting workshop. For a complete list of upcoming workshops, click here. If you have any questions about getting started contact the “Rotline” at (760) 436-7986 ext. 222 or by email and a Master Composter will assist you.
Compost Bins and Worm Bins
The Solana Center sells compost bins on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 137 N. El Camino Real, Encinitas. Bins can also be shipped. Subsidized bins available for residents of Encinitas, Solana Beach, Carlsbad, and areas of Unincorporated San Diego County. Click here for more information or call (760) 436-7986 ext. 222.
Available at the Solana Center Tuesdays and Thursdays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. 137 N. El Camino Real, Encinitas. Supplies can also be shipped. Call (760) 436-7986 ext. 222 for more information.
- Compost Thermometer: Thermometers are great for measuring the activity of your compost pile. Thermophilic bacteria thrive at temperatures 100 – 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Lower temperatures suggest decreased activity resulting from low nitrogen, moisture, or possibly anaerobic conditions from too much moisture and lack of aeration.
- Compost Moisture Meter: A 50% moisture content is optimal for a compost pile. Aerobic organisms breaking down the pile require water to survive. A moisture meter is helpful in determining whether your pile needs more or less water.
- Compost Aerator: Adding oxygen to your compost pile will speed up the decomposition process. Aerators are a quick and easy way to add air to your pile without turning.
- Books: The Solana Center offers a variety of books about composting including Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof, Basic Composting by Erich Ebeling, The Rodale Book of Composting by Martin and Gershuny, and The Complete Compost Gardening Guide by Pleasant and Martin.
- Visit www.solanacenter.org for upcoming workshops and events
- Subscribe to the Solana Center Composter Blog
- Sign up to receive the Quarterly Composter Newsletter
Composter Quarterly Newsletter ArchiveSeptember 2010
June 2009 February 2009