1. Conserves water by slowing evaporation.
2. Reduces erosion by protecting soil from heavy rains and increases the water-holding capacity.
3. Suppresses weed growth by blocking sunlight from reaching the soil’s surface.
4. Adds organic material and nutrients to soil as it slowly decomposes.
5. Helps maintain temperature by retaining heat during colder months and keeping soils cool during hotter months.
For more information about the benefits and uses of mulch visit the City of San Diego Environmental Service Department website.